What does prosperity and success mean
Quality of life / measurement of wealth
Increasing consumption does not directly lead to an increasing quality of life. Once the basic economic needs have been met, immaterial values such as health, relationships and meaningfulness come to the fore. Ultimately, the success of an economy must also be measured by the prosperity and quality of life of its citizens.
The usual method of measuring economic success is essentially based on a single material quantity, expressed in terms of GDP. Aspects that go beyond pure production success, such as quality of life, environmental wealth, social wealth and distribution issues, remain underexposed.
- How can economic measuring instruments be extended to record wealth and quality of life?
- How can we better grasp aspects of distribution and wealth as useful or undesirable consequences of our economic activity?
- Which internationally comparable indicators are already available that offer a realistic alternative or supplement to the GDP data?
- Which data, which provides information beyond the existing statistics, can also be used? Can regular data surveys be expanded with little effort, and which questions / topic complexes would have to be included here?
- How are subjective and individual variables such as well-being and objective, technical variables to be combined?
- (Further) development of indicators for measuring prosperity, well-being and quality of life according to the motto: "measure what matters"
- Regular measurements / data collection in order to be able to determine changes over time
- Measurements should ideally demonstrate that low environmental consumption can go hand in hand with high well-being ("good lives need not cost the Earth")
- Credible and reliable measures of human wellbeing must take social capital into account / the importance of social relationships (“sociability”) for quality of life should become more conscious of decision-makers
- Policies for increasing social capital in urban planning, education, the health system, the media, etc.
- The question of distribution plays a major role, as people who live in "more equal" societies (e.g., which are characterized by a small income gap) tend to be happier
You can find more information in the Policy Papers!
Material prosperity is not everything
Mr. and Mrs. Klein spent a wonderful evening for two: First, a good dinner was cooked together and eaten with pleasure, then they played their favorite game, backgammon, until well after midnight.
Both enjoyed the evening very much, because time for two has become rare in recent years. Mr. Klein is still in seventh heaven, while the next day he reads an interesting article in his newspaper and concludes from it: Although he had a great evening with his wife, they hardly contributed to the gross domestic product and thus to the material prosperity of the country.
For GDP it would have been better to spend the evening in a restaurant instead, then have an accident and take a taxi home. An evening that would hardly have made the Kleins happy. Mr. Klein no longer understands the world: How can material damage contribute to the prosperity of the nation, while other factors such as health have no or even negative effects on it? Makes him think that the satisfaction or happiness he has personally experienced play no role in the prosperity of the nation.
- What is automation with an example 1
- Why are counterfeit products popular in China
- How many Arabs are there in Sweden
- Which shoe does a professional sprinter wear?
- Why do people like sarcasm
- How can Fooducate be improved
- What do you love about Africa
- Are landlords obliged to provide references
- What do people dislike about Honda
- Music and lyrics are two different things
- What are some examples of fake news
- What are cool Asian metal bands
- How does married life change a person?
- ACH bank-to-bank transfers are free
- Who commits suicide more men or women
- How will the EU survive Brexit
- How do shipping companies reduce shipping costs
- How do they generate electricity in Hawaii
- How much is Mike Tyson able
- Where is PHP code written
- Why isn't everyone trying to fight poverty?
- Is a bralette as lingerie
- What regrets Obama after his presidency
- Why was Germany so successful after World War II
- Which newspaper is the top in Gujarat
- Is separated off site
- What is Australia's worst modern day military defeat
- What causes sticky feet
- Is Greek salad actually Greek
- What is the best dessert from Peru
- What are the benefits of distributed computing
- Is Asperger's Syndrome similar to psychopathy
- What is wage slavery
- What is the strangest belief in death