Which certificate is required for the potato export?

Non-EU countries

The import of fresh plant material (which is not prohibited, see below) from non-EU countries is only possible with a phytosanitary certificate. This applies, for example, to plants, fruits, vegetables, cut flowers, seeds and other fresh parts of plants. The phytosanitary certificate must be requested from the plant protection service of the exporting country. The fruits of pineapples, coconuts, durians, bananas and dates are the only ones that can still be imported into Switzerland and the EU from all countries without a phytosanitary certificate.

In addition to the phytosanitary certificate, certain goods must meet product-specific requirements for import (see Leaflet No. 1) and are checked by the responsible plant protection service when they are imported.

Companies that want to import goods that are subject to certification from non-EU countries must report to the EPSD (obligation to register). The import of goods from third countries that are subject to plant protection regulations (cf. leaflet 1) is only permitted for approved companies and is subject to notification and control. Import consignments that contain the relevant goods that require a certificate must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate (to be applied for from the plant protection service of the exporting country) and must generally be reported to the Federal Plant Protection Service (EPSD) no later than one day before import. The import declaration must be made using the “Trade Control and Expert System” (TRACES) online application. Detailed information on the import declaration can be found under the heading "Registration procedure for third-country imports" (see below under "Documentation"). The offices of the Swiss Federal Plant Protection Service (EPSD), where phytosanitary import controls are carried out, are located at Zurich and Geneva airports. Delayed phytosanitary clearance is to be expected for shipments that have not been registered. Information on the import process can be found under the heading "Notification procedure for third-country importation" (see below).
The provisions for plant species that are subject to species protection (CITES) are reserved. The Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office (FSVO) provides information on species protection.