Which postgraduate course should I take?

Studies - what can I expect?

At the start of your bachelor's or master's degree, you usually first put together your study plan from various modules and courses. To complete a module, you attend the relevant lectures and seminars in which the lecturers provide you with the necessary learning material. At the end there are exams for you, for which you collect several credit points depending on the effort. While in some courses you already gain credit points for your participation, in other events you give lectures or write term papers and exams. Your studies end with your bachelor's or master's thesis. If you have successfully completed all performance questions, your university or college will award you the corresponding academic bachelor's or master's degree.

How do I find the right course of study?

You have several options to find out which degree program suits you best. A good first clue is your favorite subjects at school. If you liked German, you could consider German studies, for math fans, for example, business administration, economics and statistics are ideal. You will receive great support in your search through our StudyCheck.de portal. StudyCheck provides you with information on over 16,000 study programs, practically divided into fields of study. Authentic experience reports from students will also help you with your choice of study. You can also contact the central student advisory service at the individual universities or simply take a look at our practical guide on the subject of "What should I study?" get a taste.

Where can i study?

The university and the technical college are among the best-known types of university. The main difference between a university and a university of applied sciences is the orientation. While universities are more theoretical and research-oriented, the practical component is higher at universities of applied sciences. Creatives and lovers of smaller educational institutions are in good hands at art and music colleges and academies. All universities have either state, private or church sponsors. The large institutes are made up of different faculties. These are either located together on a campus or are distributed in different locations in the respective city.

When do I have to apply to study?

The time of application depends on your planned start of studies. Most courses start in October for the winter semester. If your degree program has restricted admission, you usually have the option of submitting your documents to the university or the relevant office from mid-April to mid-July. You can apply for admission-free courses between mid-August and mid-October. If you plan to start your studies for the summer semester in April, send your application by January 15. If you receive positive news, you will be enrolled, also known as matriculation.

Studying without a high school diploma - is that possible?

At most universities you can study without a high school diploma - as a professionally qualified person. A successfully completed advanced training course, for example to become a master craftsman, entitles you to start studying. Alternatively, the universities also allow you to complete an apprenticeship and a few years of professional experience. Under certain circumstances, you can also expect an aptitude test. Since the requirements can vary depending on the federal state and university, it is worthwhile for you to contact the respective student advisory service in advance. Please keep in mind, however, that there are some degree programs that definitely require the general university entrance qualification - such as medicine.

Which degrees can I get?

Since the Bologna Process, the bachelor’s degree for an undergraduate degree and a master’s degree for a postgraduate degree have dominated the university landscape. The addition of the academic degree changes depending on the subject. The endings Bachelor or Master “of Arts”, “of Science”, “of Engineering”, “of Education” and “of Business Administration” are particularly well known. Only a few courses still end with the diploma or the state examination. You will mainly encounter these in the natural sciences and in the subjects that lead to a teaching position.

How can I finance my studies?

There are different ways to finance your studies. The classic way is the BAföG, which you can apply to the relevant office. Here, the parents' salary decides whether you will receive a permit. Banks also offer you the option of taking out a special student loan. Another alternative is a scholarship. Various institutions give prospective students the chance to receive financial support through a detailed application. If you are doing a dual course of study, your employer usually pays the costs incurred. You are also free to take a part-time job.

What types of study are there?

The universities offer most courses as full-time study. This means that you spend the entire week on your studies and spend the time at university or with the preparation and follow-up work. Part-time studies, on the other hand, allow you to take care of your family on the side or to pursue a job. In contrast to full-time studies, however, you need more time to complete it. In some cases, you also have the option of taking part-time studies, for example via distance learning