What use is it to be silent?
Why it doesn't always help to talk about problems
"What you can't talk about, you have to be silent about it." The old Wittgenstein quote, from which Tocotronic once made a beautiful song, should be taken to heart here and there. Especially when it comes to personal problems.
At least that is what the author of this text wishes for in the ZeitOnline, for whom the general psychologizing and talking about his own problems, childhood injuries and wounds, which he perceives as permanent, is slowly becoming too much. Verbalizing problems, according to his thesis, which he underpins with painful self-awareness, cannot be seen as part of their solution. For weeks and months he pondered a breakup himself, discussed and analyzed it with every available interlocutor. And yet he wasn't feeling any better.
In fact, he is not entirely alone in this view. He quotes the American psychologist and well-known author Walter Mischel, who says that too much brooding and repeated dealing with negative feelings would not help people cope with what they have experienced, but on the contrary make it worse and even lead to depression. The author also presents newer forms of psychotherapy in which the focus is more on the future that can be shaped than on the painful past. And finally, he explains how researchers have found that a Tetris game can protect against trauma. A somewhat humorous text in some places, but with exciting approaches.
- How do builders deal with rain
- What is compensation in a surgical amplifier
- What is the easiest way to be successful
- I'm better off dead
- Is Scala more powerful than Java
- What was the gender of Michael Jackson
- How do I enter the fashion world
- How do you deal with your business misery
- Why did Manchester United release Christiano Ronaldo
- How long does Ritalin withdrawal last
- Is Dele Alli better than Alexis Sanchez
- Has religion influenced you negatively or positively?
- Which European country is ecologically the best
- How are social change and education connected?
- What oil is used in soap
- Has your folliculitis ever gone away?
- How do you keep up your creativity
- What is abbreviation in RCC
- What can I do for God
- What is the cybersecurity salary
- How does FoodPanda earn money 3
- What does portrait
- What problem is Facebook solving
- It takes you anywhere to be nice
- Is it okay to ask stupid questions
- What are some SUVs like Toyota Fortuner
- How did your phone ruin your life
- What is the best strategy for event planning
- Requires healthcare UX design
- How well you can swim
- Think about living together
- What makes you passionate about fashion brands
- Which relatively unknown companies have big brands?
- Is Spider Man the future of the MCU