What are pants
What are jeans?
Jeans are probably the only item of clothing that never goes out of style. No other pair of pants is available in so many cuts, lengths and fits. But what exactly are jeans? Sevin from Switzerland asks us that ..
Jeans - formerly also known as blue jeans or rivet pants - are pants made from a certain cotton fabric called denim. The first jeans were in the USA, but their inventor is a draper from Germany: Levi Strauss. The Franconian emigrants even gave their name to the famous Levis 501.
Levi Strauss invents jeans
When Levis Strauss emigrated to America in 1847, he only had a few bales of canvas in his luggage. He soon used them to make dungarees for gold diggers and workers in the Wild West. The work trousers with double seams and rivets were very popular because they were so robust and didn't break so easily. In the beginning the jeans were still brown, only later were they made of blue fabric as we know it today.
Denim: cotton from France
Levi Strauss founded a trouser factory in 1870. He had the fabric for his jeans come from France, more precisely from the city of Nîme, where there had been a cotton factory since the 15th century. Since “from Nîme” means “De Nîme” in French, the fabric has lost its name: Denim! Another material came from Italy - from the city of Genoa - which was easy to work with. Since Genoa is pronounced “Dschenua” in Italian, the term “jeans” emerged from this.
The feeling of the Wild West
After jeans were initially purely workwear, they gradually rose to become the most widely worn cult object. Jeans came to Germany after the Second World War through the American soldiers. The first jeans model could be bought here in 1953. The young people in particular were enthusiastic about the new item of clothing. Jeans were a piece of rebellion against the adult world. Big idols like James Dean and Elvis Presley also wore jeans. Jeans became really popular with us in the 1970s. Incidentally, the first manufacturer of jeans in Germany was Mustang, which is still there.
You can find out more on the subject in WAS IST WAS Volume 132. Fashion. What attracts us
- Why are penguins considered to be birds 1
- Why did democracy end in Athens?
- China is becoming more American
- Is it true that pain changes people?
- How much do African countries owe China
- Will you get sandals in jail?
- What makes diamonds sparkle
- Santa Claus counts as a superhero
- Which country has double standards
- How much does an undergraduate degree cost
- Are you a famous celebrity
- Can higher education ensure employment?
- You can sue the Supreme Court
- What is Jennie about Blackpink's secret
- Are counterfeit drugs illegal
- Why do western women dress half-naked
- Swimming helps improve judo
- Vegetarians can eat fish cheese and milk
- Is Guinness a piece of chocolate
- What is ready-mixed concrete
- How is a gay wedding
- What are jobs according to ECE
- Why does China import cotton
- Who attended Tony Stark's funeral
- How do scales help fish survive
- What would you add to Google Chrome
- How safe is dental care in Mexico
- What are cheap tattoo removal
- Why shouldn't someone like to say goodbye
- Who is the baddest MCU character
- Are Akribos watches of good quality watches
- Inevitably, free trade creates inequality
- What do millennials think
- Russia lied about the Novichok attacks