Is Nehru really a Kashmiri expert?
Relations between India and Pakistan
The legacy of division burdens both countries. Pakistan has fought and lost several wars against India, including the first conventional war among nuclear powers. Terrorist attacks on India by Pakistani non-governmental organizations followed. But there were also approaches to cooperation within the framework of the South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation. The secession of Bangladesh created a new balance of power. However, Pakistan does not recognize the regional hegemony of India.
The heritage of partition burdens both countries. Pakistan has waged and lost several wars against India, among them the first conventional war among nuclear powers. Subsequently there were terrorist attacks by non-state Pakistani forces on India. But there were also attempts at cooperation in the South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation. The secession of Bangladesh created a new balance of power, however, Pakistan does not recognize the regional hegemony of India.
In this article, contrary to the ZfAS standard, the masculine grammatical form is used for personal nouns. The author includes both male and female persons.
Nehru also held the post of foreign minister.
Today's India consisted of British-Indian provinces and princely states, each of which was under British rule (so-called pararamountcy). This supremacy ceased with the independence of India. In this way these states each became independent. The Balkans plan continued to apply to them. But since they were not viable in isolation, they joined India.
Mahatma Gandhi held no formal office in the Indian National Congress at this time. But he held public prayer meetings, in which he also made political statements that shaped popular opinion.
Personal communication from Ali Osman Qasmi to the author, email dated May 22, 2018.
Hussain, E. (2018, May 6). Hybridized civil-military relations. Daily Times. https://dailytimes.com.pk/236381/hybridised-civil-military-relations/. Accessed 04 Oct 2018.
Kreft, H. (2003). The USA between India and Pakistan. The attempt to involve the warring brothers at the same time. In W. Draguhn (ed.), India 2003. Politics, Economy, Society (Pp. 239-257). Hamburg: Institute for Asian Studies.
Kulke, H., & Rothermund, D. (2018). History of India. From the Indus culture to today. Munich: C. H. Beck.
Book Google Scholar
Mason, S. (2016). Military budgets in India and Pakistan. Trajectories, priorities, and risks. The Stimson Center. https://www.stimson.org/sites/default/files/file-attachments/Military-Budgets-India-Pakistan-Trajectories-Priorities-Risks-Oct2016.pdf.pdf. Accessed Oct. 30, 2018.
Rothermund, D. (1968). India and the Soviet Union. Tübingen: Böhlau.
Sarila, N.S. (2005). The shadow of the great game. The untold story of India’s partition. New Delhi: HarperCollins.
Mahajan, S. (2000). Independence and partition. The erosion of colonial power in India. New Delhi: SAGE.
Menon, R. (2000). A nuclear strategy for India. New Delhi: SAGE.
Perkovich, G. (2001). India’s nuclear bomb. The impact of global proliferation. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Rothermund, D. (2008). India: The rise of an Asian giant. New Haven, London: Yale University Press.
Rothermund, D. (2013). Contemporary India. Political, economic and social developments since 1947. New Delhi: Pearson.
Talbot, I. (2010). Pakistan. A modern history. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
Wolpert, S. (1984). Jinnah of Pakistan. New York: Oxford University Press.
South Asia Institute, Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 330, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Prof. Dr. Dietmar Rothermund
Correspondence to Prof. Dr. Dietmar Rothermund.
About this article
Cite this article
Rothermund, D. Relations between India and Pakistan. Z Foreign security policy11, 621-631 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12399-018-0735-4
- Nuclear armament
- terrorist attacks
- Regional cooperation
- Nuclear armament
- Terror attacks
- Regional cooperation
- How does the rule of law affect democracy?
- Fear the dictatorship
- How do we apply wisdom
- How do you say teach in Tagalog
- Is there something called Calcuel 6
- Where is Scala useful besides websites
- What are obsidian and lapis lazuli
- What is non-spendable bitcoin
- What impresses you about men?
- How can I increase Amazon FBA sales
- What is Kalamazoo College known for?
- Narcissists dismiss you by making you ghostly
- How do I become a pharmaceutical dealer
- How to pronounce Pangea
- What is the real meaning of education
- Freelance is a viable career in India
- How should a thin Indian dress?
- What is the compressibility of a solid?
- What is the greatest enemy of creativity
- When is National Mathematics Day celebrated?
- What does candy offer
- How PCs work
- Why aren't all people nice
- What is your most common emotion
- You will need some celebrity manager contact
- What is the gender ratio of India
- What is a meeting in Ireland
- Are tacos healthy for children
- How many whites live in Africa
- Why is Dalton's atomic theory not valid
- To what extent do you feel unfulfilled
- Smokes a hookah better than cigarettes
- What are some recipes with pizza sauce
- How does performance feel?