What's your test for patriotism
panorama : Patriotism? No thanks!
Patriotism describes a deep emotional bond with one's own nation, i.e. a kind of strong love and loyalty to one's own homeland. There are certainly some people who have exactly this feeling and connection with Germany. They are proud to be Germans and show it by hanging a black, red and gold flag from the balcony, for example. As nice as this feeling may be for these people - in my opinion, patriotism and its darker sides have to be dealt with much more critically. I think patriotism is a dangerous emotional state that cannot always be separated from nationalism.
Patriotism probably also has positive sides. Out of attachment to one's own nation, one could, for example, participate in social projects to make one's home country more socially just. I think, however, you should always realize that patriotism can quickly lead to demarcation. Patriots tend to feel superior to other nations. Then you get to exclusion and discrimination, and the dividing line between patriotism and nationalism becomes more and more blurred. In addition, one should not underestimate the importance of the term pride. A patriot is proud of his country and willingly says it.
But can you really be proud of something that you can't do anything for and have done nothing for? You can't choose your home country or country of birth. You are born into it and then you have to live with it more or less.
You can be proud if you got a good grade in school or scored a goal in your football club. But be proud of your country? I can definitely say that I'm not proud to be German.
I don't want to tell anyone how he or she should feel about their nation. I only advocate taking a critical look at patriotism. I used to be proud to be German. I see it differently now. Patriotism? No thanks!
Leon Redlinger, 16 years
- Which plastic material can withstand 2000 degrees
- Why shouldn't India prefer Pakistan?
- What is your eternal dream
- Why do you love cops
- How can a doctor become an entrepreneur
- What are the characteristics of democratic socialism
- What is Comparative Advantage Theory
- What are constitutional monarchies
- How are salary and salary decisions made
- How to become a FHM model
- Which Apple product is very overpriced?
- Is yarrow good for high blood pressure
- What makes a website profitable
- Most are narcissistic racists
- Why is secularism important to Indian unity
- Why does the earth have season
- Why is China supporting the DPRK
- Is it important to be nice
- Which countries have Persian ethnic groups
- What causes poor nutrition
- What is the crisis in the euro area
- What are the G7 countries
- How can bulletproof glass stop a bullet
- How did Bitcoin get so expensive